Jessica Spencer Solo Performance 2015

The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fatty

Script process- The Set

May2

The Set.

My set ideas have changed quite a bit. One of my first ideas was to perform my show in a dance studio setting. At first, I liked this idea but then as my ideas developed I realised that I was potentially going to create a barrier between myself and the audience because I was in one defined space and they would be the spectator. In addition, I have only ever danced in a dance studio a handful of times.

This then made me think about the times I did want to dance and this always happened in my bedroom. I would always watch music videos or listen to the radio and perform in front of my mirror while miming to the lyrics into a can of hairspray or my hairbrush. It was then that I notice I had to stay true to what actually happened to me and what felt comfortable. If I set it in my bedroom I can break the barriers of the performer spectator relationship and address the fact that they are in my bedroom and the reasons why.

Furthermore, my bedroom was something special to me. When my parents got divorced, I moved to a small two bedroom council house and had to share with my sister. She had her side and I had my side. But even though were shared this bedroom, we had our own little space to escape from every day life.

To make my bedroom feel authentic, I will have a bed centre stage left next to a side table with books and a photo frame. I will have a mirror with my clothes basket full of washing upstage right where I can sing into the mirror. I will also have pots and rubbish laying around my room as at times in very busy times of my life, I forget to take the pots downstairs.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: