Jessica Spencer Solo Performance 2015

The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fatty

Developing Ideas

April22

Since my last blog post, I have been exploring the idea of body image and body size and how that relates to what society says you can and cannot do. I will be focusing on my own experience of my struggle with accepting how my body looks.

From a young age, particularly in primary school, I was bullied because of the way I looked. I have always been tall and I had big feet, but it was this bullying that inspired me to change the way I looked. In secondary school I was always involved with sport, no matter what it was, from rugby and netball to running and shot put. I dropped the pounds and toned up, but I was still bullied because I was still bigger than everyone else.  It was only when I decided to ignore the comments because I can’t change my height or the muscles I built.

Now I am in university, I have noticed the change in my body. I have put on a lot of weight and I admit that, but that shouldn’t stop me from doing what I want to do. I know I can loose the weight again but just because I have  put the weight on, doesn’t mean I can’t be happy and not pursue the things I want to achieve.

My performance is an exploration of this and has developed when I have not been taken seriously in auditions, especially dance auditions because of my size. So I am going to change this. I am going to prove to those who told me I can’t do something by performing a dance routine. I am challenging those ‘rules’ that society has placed due to peoples image.

I will take my own research and explore why a persons size is constantly being challenged. In addition I will constantly document my findings and my own feelings/ development towards my performance.

One Comment to

“Developing Ideas”

1. April 27th, 2015 at 1:56 pm      Reply Martin Curtis Says:

Do you have any video footage of you and family, dancing and moving.I suggested the Degas because it is so iconic and traditional. I suppose I also found something sad in the images.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment: